Holiday Shopping Safety Tips - Take Extra Precaution
The Indian River Volunteer Fire Company offers the following precautionary tips and prevention measures that can help keep your holiday seasons joyous.
Extended shopping hours during the holiday season can present unique dangers.
The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from the many publications and can help you be more careful, prepared and aware of your surrounding during the holiday season.
• Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
• Dress casually and comfortably.
• Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
• Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
• Always carry your driver's license or identification.
• Stay alert to your surroundings.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
• Keep cash in your front pocket.
• Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
• Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
• Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse.
• Avoid overloading yourself with packages.
• Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason.