Photo Gallery

Sunday, October 8, 2017
Electrical Hazard - Schell Road

Gallery

Views: 54

Views: 56

Views: 53



Story

Sunday October, 8 2017 @ 09:42

Nature: Electrical Hazard

Location: 23745 Schell Rd., Millsboro, DE 19966

 

On Sunday morning, October 8th, the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company was alerted for an electrical hazard incident involving a fallen onto overhead electrical wires.

Emergency response units included Tanker 80, Incident Command 80 and the Delaware State Fire Police.

Emergency response crew assignments included incident mitigation including notification to the appropriate utility service provider and notification of nearby residents of the necessary safety precautions until the arrival of the electrical company.

Safety precaution commentary “…Trees and electricity are both beneficial, but when the two come together, problems arise. Add a third component, a human, and a life may be in jeopardy.

Humans, tools or other conductive material, such as severed tree limbs, may touch the lines, resulting in an indirect, but equally dangerous, contact. Either way, the person is exposed to electrical shock by becoming a path to the ground between an energized conductor and grounded equipment, tools, or trees or by becoming a path between two conductors.

The electrical current passing through the body can cause third degree burns, irregular heart action, stoppage of the heart or the stoppage of breathing. In addition, you may be exposed to thermal burns or flash burns from arcing.”