Sunday April, 4 2021 @ 21:54
Nature: Automatic Fire Alarm – Inattentive Cooking
Location: 29155 Cordrey Rd Millsboro, DE 19966
On Sunday evening, April 4th, the Indian River Volunteer Fire Company was alerted for an automatic fire alarm (AFA) incident on Cordrey Road. It was reported to be a smoke alarm activation in a residential structure.
Emergency response units from Indian River included Tanker 80 from the Oak Orchard facility and Engine #80-3 from the Long Neck facility.
Emergency response crew assignments included forcible entry, search and identify source, and ventilation of the structure.
It appears that the occupant was attempting to cook and fell asleep, the residential smoke alarms were sounding, and the automatic fire alarm alerted the emergency response center. The emergency responders performed an exterior evaluation of the residence and identified a concern. The residential structure did not appear to be occupied so forcible entry was requested with a water can and a fire suppression attack line was initiated. Upon opening the door, a significant smoke condition was present with audible alarms. Evaluation of the interior structure yielded unattended food cooking on the stove with the residential occupant asleep in the living room chair. The situation was resolved with removal of the food and positive pressure ventilation.
All units were permitted to return to their respective fire station.