Wednesday July, 6 2011 @ 17:48:27 Nature: Structure Fire Address: 24814 Rivers Edge Rd., Stonewater Creek, Millsboro, DE 19966
On Wednesday evening, July 6th, the Indian River, Millsboro and Lewes fire companies were alerted for a structure fire on Rivers Edge Road in the Stonewater Creek development off of Indian Mission Road. It was reported via the Sussex County Emergency Operations Center that a light smoke condition was present in the basement of the residential structure.
Emergency response units were assigned to evaluate and investigate the interior and exterior of the residential structure and identify the source of the smoke conditions inside the residential structure. Ladder 80 was requested to gain roof access at the residential peak of the structure.
It appears that the residential structure was struck by lightning causing a gas leak. All of the residential utilities were disconnected or shut-off. The residential property owner was requested not to re-establish the electrical connections pending professional evaluation and/or inspections.
Upon additional observations, it was identified that visible charring and burns were prevalent and an odor of propane was obvious. Indian River initiated ventilation measures to remove the odor of propane from the basement and crawl space areas.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal is investigating.
Additional information may be obtained by viewing the following webpage:
(1) The News-Journal - www.delawareonline.com
HOUSE FIRE: A fire Wednesday night at a home near Millsboro was caused by a lightning strike, a state fire official said. The fire was reported at 5:48 p.m. at a home in the Stone Water Creek development in the 24000 block of Rivers Edge Road, said Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Randall Lee. The occupants were able to escape thanks to working smoke detectors, Lee said. No one was injured. Damage, estimated at $3,000, was lessened by heat from the blaze melting a water line and extinguishing the fire, Lee said. He said the fire originated in the home's crawl space.
(2) Sussex Countian – www.sussexcountian.com
After lightning strike, fire stopped by melted pipe
A house that caught fire after a lightning strike on July 6 was saved by something even less likely. The blaze melted through a water line and released enough water to extinguish the flames, Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Randall Lee said.
The fire began at about 5:48 p.m. in the crawlspace of a house on River’s Edge Road when lightning struck it. But by the time firefighters from Indian River, Millsboro and Lewes arrived, all that was left was smoke — the water main had completely quenched the fire.
“All the firefighters had to do was check for any hot spots that were still there,” Lee said. “The fire was gone.”
The flames and smoke caused just $3,000 in damage, according to the fire marshal’s office – a tiny amount compared to most home fires.
“We’ve had that happen a couple of times,” Lee said. “Every so often, there’s a fire in the right spot, close enough to a pipe, and that sorts it out.”
Story By: Administrative Public Information Officer